Silverado EV Forum banner

Will GM Sell More EVs than Tesla by 2025?

• Yes

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • No

Votes: 12 70.6%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
163 Posts
It's already 2022 and I doubt GM will do it by 2025, maybe closer to 2030.

The end of that article summed up the rest of my thoughts:

"But I feel that if GM truly wanted to beat Tesla, it would have already — or even before Tesla was founded. It would have found a way to make EVs mainstream long before there was a need for Tesla. This goes for the other legacy automakers as well. It took Tesla coming onto the scene — with barely a factory to make its cars — to fore the auto industry to this point. If a newbie automaker with just a couple of factories can bring EVs to production and make more money than both Ford and GM, which are selling more cars in total than Tesla, then already-established automakers could have done it also. They just didn’t want to — until now."

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crewmax 4x4
38 Posts
I think they will because they have massive capacity and supplier relationships in place that Tesla doesn't really have.

The wildcard is the supply chain. Can they GET the product they need in order to build what they want to build?

Reactions: Watson

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think yes....provisionally.

I'm going to say only if you count the China JVs (or at least count them proportional to GMs ownership) and look at it as their production rate by the end of 2025. Of course this also assumes GM doesn't hit any delays on the already-announced Ultium plants

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think it's possible for GM to get this done, barring supply issues. I think GM is more focused to push their EVs going forward than Tesla. Musk seems to have his head in the clouds with Twitter, Robots, Rockets and other nonsense. Tesla's stock has dropped 30% in the past month!

·
Registered
Volt, Suburban, ID.4
98 Posts
I don't think it will happen by then. That is realistically only 2 model years from now, and they aren't launching any of the real volume leaders until late 23 or early 24. Tesla isn't going to have a sales slump, they are going to continue to grow as well. Hopefully GM isn't making beating Tesla a priority, and is instead focusing on making quality products. That is the only way to grow market share.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts