Silverado EV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Rivian R1T, Suburban 2500, VW ID.4
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given today’s price increase and content changes, who dropped their reservation? I am holding mine a few days to see if they come to their senses (doubt it), but I’m out if they keep the new prices. My configuration went from $82600 to $97200!!!

Glad I made that Silverado reservation “just in case”.
 

·
Registered
Past: Tesla Model S, 3, X. Volvo XC90 PHEV. Current: F150 Powerboost Hybrid
Joined
·
18 Posts
Given today’s price increase and content changes, who dropped their reservation? I am holding mine a few days to see if they come to their senses (doubt it), but I’m out if they keep the new prices. My configuration went from $82600 to $97200!!!

Glad I made that Silverado reservation “just in case”.

Same boat. I had the R1S reserved, and I was holding out for the Max Pack to be announced. The new price increase brought me from 83K to 98K, BEFORE the 16K max pack upgrade.

But, I also have a Silverado reservation, it was basically a race to see who could get me a vehicle first. But...at that price point, I'll wait until I can order a mid-level Silverado. Bonus: I'll be able to back up my house with it...Rivian wasn't even offering that.
 

·
Registered
Rivian R1T, Suburban 2500, VW ID.4
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same boat. I had the R1S reserved, and I was holding out for the Max Pack to be announced. The new price increase brought me from 83K to 98K, BEFORE the 16K max pack upgrade.

But, I also have a Silverado reservation, it was basically a race to see who could get me a vehicle first. But...at that price point, I'll wait until I can order a mid-level Silverado. Bonus: I'll be able to back up my house with it...Rivian wasn't even offering that.
I reserved the Silverado as a backup. I really to buy the R1T unless they a) cancelled the max pack or b) had a huge price increase (I think $15k qualifies as huge). I was prepared for an increase. As long as it was less than $5-7.5k I was still going to go through with it.

I could reconfigure to the dual motor, but that's not what I wanted, or what attracted me, and even then I would be in 2024. For that long of a wait, and for the price, I would rather have the Silverado. I have only ever had Chevy trucks anyway, so maybe this is the universe's way of working itself out.

I am planning on waiting for a mid-level Silverado. Basically whatever the lowest trim is that I can get the midgate and SuperCruise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Given today’s price increase and content changes, who dropped their reservation? I am holding mine a few days to see if they come to their senses (doubt it), but I’m out if they keep the new prices. My configuration went from $82600 to $97200!!!

Glad I made that Silverado reservation “just in case”.
That seems to be the sentiment from a lot of Rivian order holders I've seen online. They're falling back to another order they have, whether it's a Silverado, Lightning, Hummer, Cybertruck etc. It just keeps getting worse for Rivian.
 

·
Registered
Rivian R1T, Suburban 2500, VW ID.4
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That seems to be the sentiment from a lot of Rivian order holders I've seen online. They're falling back to another order they have, whether it's a Silverado, Lightning, Hummer, Cybertruck etc. It just keeps getting worse for Rivian.
It does seem to be the beginning of some dark days. I still love the truck, but am not happy with the company.

Did find a new home for my Rivian gear though...
Outerwear White Light Black Neck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Yep cancelled my R1T order- Same boat was prepared for a 5-7k increase but bumping up close to 18k and overall price at 100K - I'm out.
Now just down to my Silverado reservation.
Sad thing at Rivian is that the Truck and SUV customers are really not their main customer- It's Amazon. With a 100K order to fill the focus( materials. batteries, etc.) is to get those out the door before any contract fines kick in for missing delivery deadlines. Despite all the Hipe of company's culture and caring for their customers and environment- We are all just side noise to their real customer. Besides RJ has his R1S he doesn't care.
 

·
Registered
Rivian R1T, Suburban 2500, VW ID.4
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My my how quickly things change. Today Rivian walked back the price increase for existing preorder holders (as of March 1 2022). They are honoring the original prices. I will keep both my R1T and Silverado reservations. This doesn't mean the Rivian is off the table for me, but where it was a sure thing before, now I have some hesitations. How will they treat us after they have our $80k? What will they do to retain customers? What tricks might they try with OTA updates and connected services?

It's for sure a step in the right direction, just have to see how they act from here on out. They must have lost a ton of reservations (they are also saying they will restore your reservation if you did cancel, with original pricing, and delivery timeframe). One bonus is anyone that does buy the truck basically has $12-20k instant equity on the day you take delivery. You can probably drive it for several years and not lose a penny on your purchase price because anyone that orders from here out is paying so much more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
My my how quickly things change. Today Rivian walked back the price increase for existing preorder holders (as of March 1 2022). They are honoring the original prices. I will keep both my R1T and Silverado reservations. This doesn't mean the Rivian is off the table for me, but where it was a sure thing before, now I have some hesitations. How will they treat us after they have our $80k? What will they do to retain customers? What tricks might they try with OTA updates and connected services?

It's for sure a step in the right direction, just have to see how they act from here on out. They must have lost a ton of reservations (they are also saying they will restore your reservation if you did cancel, with original pricing, and delivery timeframe). One bonus is anyone that does buy the truck basically has $12-20k instant equity on the day you take delivery. You can probably drive it for several years and not lose a penny on your purchase price because anyone that orders from here out is paying so much more.
I don't know if anyone will be able to calculate this but it would be interesting to see 1) how many people actually cancelled their orders over the past couple of days because of the price increase and then 2) How many of those people decided to go back and redo their order with the original pricing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
I don't know if anyone will be able to calculate this but it would be interesting to see 1) how many people actually cancelled their orders over the past couple of days because of the price increase and then 2) How many of those people decided to go back and redo their order with the original pricing.
Calling it now, I predict at least 10% of the folks that cancelled won't end up reinstating their order.
 

·
Registered
Rivian R1T, Suburban 2500, VW ID.4
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Calling it now, I predict at least 10% of the folks that cancelled won't end up reinstating their order.
I'd say that's a pretty good guess. There are still probably another 10-20% who are cautiously watching for further signs that they are trying to regain trust. (I would place myself in that group.) They need to have much better communication with reservation holders (which I think they have been hesitant to give any bad news for fear of scaring investors). That would be a good start. Disclosing subscription costs, and possibly offering discounts or freebies for early reservation holders would be another way to do so. Also need to be less secretive about their charging network. Plans to "build 600 stations by the end of 2023" and a generic map aren't good enough. Tell us where they will be so we can make sure they fit our trip planning. I know there are several trips I have planned that if the map is accurate, I could probably go with the 300 mile range truck instead of the 400. That would save me $10k by doing so, but I might still keep the bigger battery and know I have better piece of mind that I would have more options than just the current chargers (EA, EVgo, etc) and hopefully have a better chance of an available charger with RAN due to less vehicles using them.

Time will tell, but I don't think the price reversal is going to be enough for 20-25% of current preorder holders. I know I will be watching things much more critically than I was in the past.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Given today’s price increase and content changes, who dropped their reservation? I am holding mine a few days to see if they come to their senses (doubt it), but I’m out if they keep the new prices. My configuration went from $82600 to $97200!!!

Glad I made that Silverado reservation “just in case”.
I was going to reserve the rivian as well, but the price increase was a BIG slap in the face
Calling it now, I predict at least 10% of the folks that cancelled won't end up reinstating their order.
I was going to reserve one as well, but the increase was a BIG slap in the face. I'm now looking at the Silverado.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top