Silverado EV Forum banner

Talk about your other Electric Vehicles owned or buying

6K views 76 replies 22 participants last post by  Harrison_n789 
#1 ·
We bought solar couple years ago and I jumped on the RAV4 Prime for the wife since her Camry Hybrid was getting older. The prime has been awesome, super practical EV and ultra efficient hybrid in one, ultimate transition vehicle. Now obviously I want to replace my truck with the Silverado EV also because it’s the new avalanche. I put down a deposit on the Aptera. I think it’s supercool they went all the way with the efficiency thing and I can run for free from its own solar panels. I’m a big motorcycle guy so maybe the aptera will technically be like a motorcycle EV that runs for free.
What EVs do you all have or want other then the Silverado? I could see replacing the wife’s RAV4 Prime with a Bronco EV or possibly Tahoe EV.

#67 ·
My first EV was a Mitsubishi IMiev- only had a 16 KwH battery and about 70 mile range, which worked for 90 % of my driving in Hilo Hawaii. However the battery did not have a cooling system and after three years the range was only 30 miles, and unlike the other imievs in Hawaii they refused to honor their 10yr 100,000 mile warranty for me , so I traded it in for a Chevy Bolt EV which has been fantastic in comparison …. Still getting 265 miles of range and love all the extra safety features . I’ll keep my Bolt EV for daily driving , but want to trade in my old 2003 Honda Element for a Hummer EV 3X or Silverado EV RST—whichever reservation comes up first wins lol

#70 ·
I've had a pretty decent EV experience. In 2018 I opted to switch from an Audi SQ5 to a Chevrolet Bolt. I'd changed jobs, and was no longer constantly in an airplane and didn't want to spend $60 a week to keep my Premium loving supercharged SUV driving 60 miles to/from work. So I traded it in on a 2018 Chevrolet Bolt EV. I originally went in lookin for the Volt, but its roofline was too low, and it was really gutless. Believe it or not the Bolt was faster to 60 than my Supercharged V6 SUV was, just didn't sound cool as hell doing it.

I drove that thing up until Covid hit, and then it sat in a garage for a year. actually had a layer of dust on it. I'd leased it not knowing what I'd think of an EV, so we turned it in the spring of 2021. I regret that some days, as it was a great car. I did do one short road trip on it, but honestly if you are going to take this anywhere on the highway, don't. I was disappointed with Chevy for not upgrading the DC charging system, it's limited to 50 KW which usually means 25-30 KW actual and takes 45 min to get to 180 miles. Once you're charged it's great, but twiddling your thumbs for 45 minutes is terrible.

My kids started driving, and after an incident with my Bolt and my son and a roundabout being treated as a straight road I bought a used Fiat 500E which is a tiny car, only 80 miles of range, and no fast charging at all. It was great for my son and daughter to learn to drive in, and cheap enough if they goofed it up being new drivers it wouldn't make it hard for the rest of us while the car was being repaired. We drove it until Fall 2021 when I replaced it with a 2021 RWD VW ID.4 EV. The kids use it to this day, have road tripped it to Orlando, and have had a great experience with it. My only complaint is I was promised software updates and VW has screwed the pooch on that model year. I've not gotten the promised updates, have gotten form letters apologizing for it, but honestly no one cares as we use CarPlay instead of the terrible VW software. Same thing I did in the Bolt it basically had a big screen you connected to your phone.

In 2019 I replaced our 2016 Expedition EL with a Tesla Model X. We managed to get one 2200 mile road trip in before covid hit, then it sat in the garage for quite a while as well. We managed to do a few more road trips >2000 miles with it and I had few complaints with it. However in the fall of 2021/spring 2022 they did an update that moved all he buttons around, and I swear broke it's collision system. Every day on the drive to work it'd slam on the breaks at the same spot, no matter what I tried it'd think the overpass was something and just lock up the wheels. I'm sure a few people on I540 thought I was brake checking them. then, I had to drive a rather hilly two lane six times in a day and the forward collision alarm went of 28 times - one for each hill. Drove me nuts, wanted to get rid of it, found out people wanted that Tesla more than what I paid for it new so I sold it.

May 2022 bought a Polestar 2. Originally I had ordered an Audi E-Tron S in Dec 21 but it never came (thanks Russia). The Polestar 2 is my current daily driver. about 220 miles of range at 90%,have done a single road trip with it and it did great, but it's trip planning sucks and Electrify America's charging locations were iffy at best, usually half didn't work. Only complaint is the roof line is too low for my old and fat butt so getting in I have to contort a bit that I don't in an SUV/Truck, which is why I want one.

We replaced the Model X with a Land Rover Defender. So I once again have a gas car, regret it every time I fill it up but we don't drive it often. I wanted a Rivian R1S but they couldn't deliver nor tell me when they would so we gave up on it, of course three weeks later suddenly they have tons to sell so I'm a bit bitter about that. Defender is a great car.

#72 ·
Turns out I’m going to have to fly out to take delivery of my Tesla and pay for shipping to get it back to my island. No indication of this before, I had to ask after they asked me to accept delivery in Honolulu. Dealerships around here will happily ship a new car free with purchase to any island…

#75 ·
It appears my Y is very well put together from what I’ve seen, so I’m happy about that. I’m not crazy about the one pedal driving, I learned to ride motorcycles first and I’m an avid coaster, makes for a jerky driving experience while I get used to it, never had any problem coming to stop using the regen on the brake pedal in my wife’s car. The interior feels of lesser quality compared to the wife’s car too, obviously the screen is nice and stereo sounds good. Glass roof is cool but makes for it a bit of an echo chamber. Performance is great, handles well and the range adequate for the island. Wish it had CarPlay but I figured out how to share navigation from my phone which is working, but occasionally the Bluetooth phone has some distortion, I’ve read others having this issue, hopefully a software update will fix it.

For the price I paid including tax rebate it’s a lot of car and I think the other manufacturers will have a hard time competing. Unfortunately it does feel very appliance like despite the exciting acceleration, I’m not finding myself very excited for it, but I guess that’s why I bought it, efficient commuting. Brakes are terrible. I’m looking forward to the Silverado, it excites me.

#76 ·
Well my first 220 mile round trip on the island and I had 60 miles left. I think this most likely rules out any truck with less than 300 miles range, really anything less than 320. With a small diversion I could have easily used up that last 60 miles. I sure hope Tesla installs a super charger here.

#77 ·
It's fascinating to hear about your diverse EV and gas car experiences! The transition from an Audi SQ5 to a Chevrolet Bolt and then exploring various EVs like the Fiat 500E, VW ID.4, Tesla Model X, and now the Polestar 2 showcases the evolving landscape of electric vehicles. Your insights into charging limitations and software frustrations provide a real-world perspective on the challenges and joys of EV ownership.

The Land Rover Defender's inclusion as a gas car, despite the regretful fueling moments, adds an interesting contrast. It's understandable how the delayed delivery and subsequent availability of the Rivian R1S could be a source of frustration.

Thanks for sharing your journey through different automotive technologies, and it'll be intriguing to see how the EV market continues to evolve!