Silverado EV Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD, 2022 Rivian R1T
82 Posts
Maybe you should stick with Tesla and Rivian… keep your blood pressure normal. You know GM’s dealer network is going to run a boot up your rear… and when it happens you’re going to be pissed.

You are willfully putting yourself in a position to have a dealer screw you over. Just stick with the DTC trucks man. You’ll be much happier. For you… GM, Ford and others with their corrupt dealer networks should just be avoided.
You sound like a dealer, are you? You sort of sound like your threatening me, are you?

What I have posted is completely true, otherwise you would have posted more than vailed threats. I will purchase a vehicle from whom ever does not extort ADM.

My hope is that the legislated dealership model will change for the better.

I did purchase my EV6 from a local Kia dealer for MSRP. The salesman who sold it to me was terminated a short time later. I do not know for sure their termination was because the MSRP sale or some other reason. What I do know is the dealer started adding ADM to Kia EVs just after my purchase.

BTW my blood pressure is good.

Dealer: Pay me $5,000.00 and you can have your vehicle.

Product Font Screenshot Communication Device Number

·
Registered
82 Posts
If dealers adjust to online ordering by making it a pleasurable experience and sell at MSRP they can make a lot of money selling volume which will lead to bigger profits for service. They can reduce inventory costs and save money there. Seems like a win win.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You sound like a dealer, are you? You sort of sound like your threatening me, are you?

What I have posted is completely true, otherwise you would have posted more than vailed threats. I will purchase a vehicle from whom ever does not extort ADM.

My hope is that the legislated dealership model will change for the better.

I did purchase my EV6 from a local Kia dealer for MSRP. The salesman who sold it to me was terminated a short time later. I do not know for sure their termination was because the MSRP sale or some other reason. What I do know is the dealer started adding ADM to Kia EVs just after my purchase.

BTW my blood pressure is good.

Dealer: Pay me $5,000.00 and you can have your vehicle.

Read my post history. I'm definitely not a dealer. I am very familiar with how they set up pain points to extract margin from every sales transaction though.

Since you and I both know what they tend to do, we should both have expectations for dealers to run their normal playbook to maximize margins. You call it extortion, but I just call it their normal (disappointing for consumers) business practice.

If you think I'm "threatening" you, then I think you have a persecution complex. I'm pointing out to you how almost every post you've made on this site includes commentary about how traditional dealers are extortive and prone to ripping customers off in their pursuit of maximum profit. And yet, you're looking to buy from a dealership since Silverado EVs have to go through GM's normal sales channels.

Considering there are options right now (like the Rivian you already have) that bypass the normal dealer model, it makes more sense for you to avoid GM entirely. Since your opinion against dealers is so negative, you should do yourself a favor and buy your future vehicles from channels that bypass a traditional dealership and possible mark-up or extortion practices. Otherwise, when the inevitable traditional dealership screws you again, are you really going to be surprised?

Cartoon Whiskers Line Fawn Art

·
Registered
82 Posts
Read my post history. I'm definitely not a dealer. I am very familiar with how they set up pain points to extract margin from every sales transaction though.

Since you and I both know what they tend to do, we should both have expectations for dealers to run their normal playbook to maximize margins. You call it extortion, but I just call it their normal (disappointing for consumers) business practice.

If you think I'm "threatening" you, then I think you have a persecution complex. I'm pointing out to you how almost every post you've made on this site includes commentary about how traditional dealers are extortive and prone to ripping customers off in their pursuit of maximum profit. And yet, you're looking to buy from a dealership since Silverado EVs have to go through GM's normal sales channels.

Considering there are options right now (like the Rivian you already have) that bypass the normal dealer model, it makes more sense for you to avoid GM entirely. Since your opinion against dealers is so negative, you should do yourself a favor and buy your future vehicles from channels that bypass a traditional dealership and possible mark-up or extortion practices. Otherwise, when the inevitable traditional dealership screws you again, are you really going to be surprised?

View attachment 748
My apology as I misunderstood the intent of your post.

If dealerships were participating in a free market then words like margin and profit would apply. However, the fact that car dealerships, through lobbying and politics got themselves legislated such that all new car sales MUST go through them makes ADM legal extortion. Surely you can see that. Online ordering has exposed their legalized racket.

As far as warning me about my potential poor experience at a dealer and recommending that I stick with direct sales, rest assured I know what I am doing as I recently bought my EV6 from a dealer and my R1T from direct sales. I have been buying vehicles for 50+ years.

Have you had direct recent experience with purchasing a vehicle online? If not, then you cannot understand my point of view. I have ordered two vehicles using the recent advent of online ordering. One from Ford and one from Rivian.

It went something like this for Ford:
  • reserve a spot in line and wait for the okay from manufacturer to okay placing the order.
  • Get notified to proceed with order. Pick your desired trim level and options. MSRP price + destination fees is quoted.
  • Now you MUST pick a dealer to have it delivered to. This is mandated(legislated) by law.
  • It is at this point that the dealer you chose says “nice vehicle, if you want it you will need to give me $5k to get it. That is the exact definition of extortion!!! Keep in mind that MSRP already has profit for the dealer baked in.
When the Silverado EV finally comes out I will look for a dealer that is not charging ADM. If none exist then I will pass on Chevy.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My apology as I misunderstood the intent of your post.

If dealerships were participating in a free market then words like margin and profit would apply. However, the fact that car dealerships, through lobbying and politics got themselves legislated such that all new car sales MUST go through them makes ADM legal extortion. Surely you can see that. Online ordering has exposed their legalized racket.

As far as warning me about my potential poor experience at a dealer and recommending that I stick with direct sales, rest assured I know what I am doing as I recently bought my EV6 from a dealer and my R1T from direct sales. I have been buying vehicles for 50+ years.

Have you had direct recent experience with purchasing a vehicle online? If not, then you cannot understand my point of view. I have ordered two vehicles using the recent advent of online ordering. One from Ford and one from Rivian.

It went something like this for Ford:
  • reserve a spot in line and wait for the okay from manufacturer to okay placing the order.
  • Get notified to proceed with order. Pick your desired trim level and options. MSRP price + destination fees is quoted.
  • Now you MUST pick a dealer to have it delivered to. This is mandated(legislated) by law.
  • It is at this point that the dealer you chose says “nice vehicle, if you want it you will need to give me $5k to get it. That is the exact definition of extortion!!! Keep in mind that MSRP already has profit for the dealer baked in.
When the Silverado EV finally comes out I will look for a dealer that is not charging ADM. If none exist then I will pass on Chevy.

Yeah we're on the same page. I'm not defending the dealers, I'm just pointing out they're often a-holes because being a-holes has made them a ton of money. So, their a-hole behavior is very predictable. Sure, consumers wish dealers would get better... but the dealers by and large have no incentive to get better. They cannot all chase volume over margin.

What's weird about your point of view is you know dealers are a-holes, but you somehow think you'll find one that won't try to screw you over. It would be one thing if you were in a major metro area and could dealer-shop. But you're in Idaho; and the dealers there have their market territory very well blocked out. You're not in a market that prioritizes volume over margin... I don't know how realistic your expectations are to have an end-to-end positive good feeling coming out of this Silverado EV purchase.

As I mentioned in the other thread, dealers make money by adding pinch points to a purchase flow. Every time they pinch a car buyer, they can make extra margin. Tesla and Rivian customers don't get pinched because there is no dealer network. But your average buyer in the normal dealership will encounter at least a dozen times they'll be pinched; and then the customer has to make a decision that could benefit the dealer. I guess taken to an extreme this is "extortion" but so far the FTC doesn't consider these pinches to be extortion. This is a honed script dealers have crafted over decades, and they're not about to stop now with hot new products in their showrooms.

IMO, Rivian didn't hit you with the Ford Experience. Neither will Tesla. Those are the automakers you should stick with. It's not worth it for you to roll the dice with Ford or GM or Stellantis, since those 4 bullet points you provided describe how they've been maximizing their margins lately; so they'll likely keep doing it.

BTW, some Ford dealers near me in California are doing a super clever thing with their allocated dealer stock Lightnings (the shipments that don't have a specific customer order). They're basically having a shell customer buy the stock and then return it. So the dealer cannot sell it as new. And if an inventory item is not new, it's not beholden to MSRP and can be sold at whatever the market price is (which you know is higher than MSRP at this time). Even for the order-book stuff, some dealers are requiring certain dealer installed options to juice the margin. It's all a big "extortion" as you call it since the dealers know how to apply pressure and pain points to make money.

Traditional dealers are not in the business of selling below what an individual customer is willing to pay. MSRP is a fair margin to dealers, but right now the dealers know people will pay over MSRP. So the dealers don't want to sell at MSRP. If an buyer will pay more, dealers will find a way to extract that higher margin one way or the other. Sucks for the consumers that don't like to over-pay. It's great for the consumers that are willing to pay their way to the front of the line.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Cloud Sky

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Collar Pet supply

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crewmax 4x4
71 Posts
When I asked my dealer about selling at MSRP they wouldn't even answer. "We'll see what the market does." Um, no, we won't. I cancelled and bought a new ICE truck which honestly I've realized will serve my family far better in the coming years.

As far as the $40k trucks...those will end up being vaporware. Ford tried it, but ended up jacking the price up $8k in less than 12 months. There will never be a $39,995 Silverado EV on a dealership lot. Ever.

As far as range, Mary Barra already said the base model will have less range. 400 miles is the target for the RST trim, and will also be optional on other trims. I'm guessing GM will target 250 miles of range for the base trim. That'll put them just ahead of Ford while still being low enough to keep the price where the Lightning is.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My apologies if this has been covered elsewhere in this forum. What is the GM suggested range of the $39,900 MSRP base model EV WT? I have read often that the EV WT will have a range of up to 400 miles. But I haven't specifically read that 400 miles will be the range of the $39,900 MSRP base model. So what is the range of the base EV WT? Is it 400 miles, or will that require a more expensive EV WT upgrade?
So now that the blazer and equinox models and trims have been released I 100% say the base WT will not have 400 mile range. It might get about around 300 which is fine and I’d pay a little more to upgrade to 400 mile but the base WT will not get 400. It sucks but I see the others and I can just predict.

·
Registered
82 Posts
250-300 miles of range for the WT is more than enough for a daily driver. After all for $40k it will be bare bones stripped down and not a long distance pleasure cruiser.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I’d like to have 300 at least because that would put it at a grand range for me. I like my bolt at 250 but would feel more comfortable at 300 like my old spark.
Understood. More range is better.

I am probably wrong in thinking that WTs will be hard to get so I am hoping 1-2 trim levels up will be more available at around $70k and 400 miles of range.

The early release RST is $105k that 2.5 times the price of a WT.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Understood. More range is better.

I am probably wrong in thinking that WTs will be hard to get so I am hoping 1-2 trim levels up will be more available at around $70k and 400 miles of range.

The early release RST is $105k that 2.5 times the price of a WT.
If it’s like the blazer 3-4000 more should equal out the range to 400 miles. I’m watching to see what the pricing will be on the more miles equinox now and that will give us some idea.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Wait... You are in Idaho @EVTrucking ? I have had great experiences with Dave Smith Motors in the past. Was even considering transferring my reservation there at one point.
FWIW I contacted Dave Smith Motors regarding ADM. Their response was that they could not comment on the amount of ADM until getting closer to actual production and release. So it is a good bet Dave Smith Auto will do ADM if there are folks willing to pay the extortion.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts