Silverado EV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Funny enough it took me six months to place a reservation because I didn't like the look of the show car. In particular
  1. Chevy likes bling and I hate bling, too much brightwork and smooth plastic to pick up scratches
  2. That perfect reflection blue paint is blinding
  3. Simplified interior - I never had a truck with two gloveboxes, and they took the second out on this one, along with a bunch of buttons (I like physical)
  4. Trapezoidal screens - wasted screen space and unlike every other screen I have in my life
    1. chief engineer said it's not just an ipad stuck in there which I agree with - not fond of Tesla/Ford big ipad
    2. But they didn't have to go that far - I like the WT square landscape better
  5. Smooth exterior looks more like a weekend warrior truck
But not finding anything better I finally dug into it and fell in love with
  1. Midgate
  2. Roomy interior (I have a tall family)
  3. Camera rear view mirror
  4. 400 mi range
  5. HUD
  6. Ultium and Ultifi look promising

But they're saying that I'll only get to choose between WT (no midgate option) and RST ($$$), so I may not be able to buy one. I wonder if a lot of customers will drop out just for this reason, unless they surprise us with options. Or maybe I can option down the RST enough out of the nosebleed seats.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Wait...why is the "frunk" so small?
Components, probably HVAC and battery climate. Charging infrastructure is at the back on this one because that’s where the charge port is, and the radiator is at the front. Looks like they probably didn’t go with the Bolt style cooling plate. The Bolt has no frunk as it’s filled with components. Sure EV’s have less to go wrong, but there’s still a lot of stuff in there.

However I wouldn’t at all be surprised that after the Lightning reveal they release with a Frunk that happens to be one inch larger than the F150, wanna place a bet on that?:p I expect them trying to push other specs too so as to be just that much better. GM underestimates range already so I’m expecting 430 miles actual. Towing, hauling and bigger frunk will all be a bit bigger too I expect.

With the charge port in the back, instead of the front as it is with my Bolt, I’ll have to install one of my spare EVSE’s on the other side of the garage. Annoying, but they had to do that because of the frunk I believe.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am sure there will be enough cameras that will allow you to back in to where you need to be safely so that your existing setup for the Bolt will reach.
Yeah I thought about that but then the driver is on an inconvenient side. Anyhow I got a EVSE with my solar, then when I was purchasing the Bolt they were giving out free ones left and right, so I have four now. One is portable, one I had installed outside and two are next to each other inside, for no reason other than I had to do something with it. Just a short conduit run back to front through the attic will get between the two doors, easy peasy, and I'm glad I grabbed got the extra freebies.

I made the suggestion on another thread for folks not to sweat total charge capacity too much, but got a lot of argument to max it out (by people who don't own EV's yet?) Anyhow I should have mentioned over there, in my experience because the car sits so long trying to get as many amps as possible isn't important, but convenience of EVSE location is. I'm really glad I have one inside and one out even though we have one car, really useful to be able to charge the car where ever it happens to be sitting.

So with this setup I'll be able to charge inside forward or reverse parked, and outside backwards parked, and I can probably reach forward parked or use my extension if not (y)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yeah for anyone lurking and trying to learn about EV’s… consider SilverDan to be a bit of an anomaly when it comes to EV ownership.

1) he’s competent enough to install his own EVSE, and his area doesn’t require permits for EVSE installs. He can run his own Romex, conduit, and add breakers to his load center seemingly at will. So of course he’s just going to do whatever he needs to since he’s not limited by experience or permits.
All of my EVSE’s and electrical were installed and permitted by electricians. One is on the 10kW solar system, another is on a dedicated high capacity circuit installed for my garage/office. In a sense both were cheap installs simply because of the high expense for the main purposes which were solar and office. So the only thing unique is that I happen to have two high power subpanels in my garage for these two systems.

Further we converted the house to be mostly electrical, with high current induction and so forth. Because of this I’ve come to learn a lot about the expenses related to running electrical lines, and the what that means on the mains side. For example, we ran into an obscure rule about the backplane rating of your main box which is complicated but interesting, but the upshot is that because of how much electrical is run in this house paradoxically the main breaker has to be de-rated from 200. No it’s not as simple as there’s a lot of sub panels.

Whatever, my experience with charging at home, free at work, and many hours on the road is that convienance of EVSE location is much greater than charging capacity, and if we ever move and I have to install new EVSE’s thats what I’ll prioritize since I won’t be doing this much electrical again for solar or office. If money is no object then get it all. Take that for what it’s worth

1 - 4 of 4 Posts