Silverado EV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We know the WT starts at 40 something and the RST first edition maxes out at 105. I figure most of us want something in the middle and I’m trying to figure out what the pricing might look like. When I look at the current Silverado the WT starts at a similar price point but it gets nowhere near the 105k at the top. Looks like the top is closer to 70k on the current Silverado. Hard to figure, I’m just hoping I can get a nicely equipped model for 60, maybe it will be about a $10k premium over the ICE models for the EV?
 

·
Registered
Volt, Suburban, ID.4
Joined
·
98 Posts
I would hope for something in the $70-80k range that would be equivalent of the current LTZ (on the low end of that range) or High Country (on the high end of that range). Basically I would be interested in the cheapest trim that includes the Mid gate and Super Cruise, so probably the High Country if they keep things consistent with the ICE Silverado.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yeah I can understand that. Wonder how much for the upgraded battery 12-16k? Since we don’t have cold weather I’m hoping I can get away with the smaller battery if it’s 300 or so.
 

·
Registered
Volt, Suburban, ID.4
Joined
·
98 Posts
300 is a good target. We have an ID.4 with 250 (230 or so at constant highway speeds). It works pretty easily for all of our trip planning, but that extra 50 or so miles would make it that much easier. There are definitely times when we stop for a charge at 40-50% charge, just for 10-15 minutes to make sure we get to the next charger. It's not necessarily a bad thing though when travelling with kids and pets. Just plan those bathroom breaks to coincide with charging and get a couple more miles whenever you stop.

I used to think 400 was the bare minimum but truthfully 300 will be plenty. Only some of my planned towing trips would be painful with a 300 mile battery (120-150 towing), but they would also be a pain with the 400 mile battery too (160-200 towing).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
The battery price jump on the lightning in the xlt trim added additional technology packages which as I recall made a cloth interior xlt 70k+

My Dad tried to get the base with extended battery as a company vehicle in the commercial sales, it was a $10k jump if I remember correctly but they said no way we would get it till 2023

Hopefully this being out a few years, and GM having solid EV experience if the base is in the 300 range, it should work well to replace my Mach E and my 2014 Ram 1500. Of course now I'm excited to see the Ram EV, love my Mopar but I know better then to jump on a first year Ram product lol.

My biggest issue after almost a year of Mach-e ownership is the local dealerships service. I had to elevate again my lack of support to Ford Corp Customer Experience, by personal email, to finally get the service manager to call me back and make sure my service will be addressed in a reasonable time. Unfortunately with my schedule and travel coming up I'll be waiting till June to get in. I'm hopeful this will go well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It sure would be nice if GM goes with a larger starting pack or reasonable upgrade pricing. Trying to calculate backwards from the 105k RST I’m not encouraged, but the WT sure seems to start reasonable, lotta room in between.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Hopefully they allow just a larger battery pack to be added. I don't care about all the tech crap that I will never need added just because I want a bigger battery. I probably don't need a bigger battery, but I will always want the max amount of mileage. Plus I plan on taking this off-road a little for some trips and the extra battery will come in handy when I plug stuff in and not close to a charger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Max mileage isn't really as important in ev now that I have almost a year on mine. The issue is winter temperatures hit range hard, so the comfortable 220 miles I could plan stops around became 170 miles. I believe the magic number is between 300 and 350. I'll take 300 if GM post that range with a load like Ford does.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
I think 300 is the magic number for a good starting range.
300 was the magic number that got me interested in EVs. I had absolutely no interest in them until I started seeing the Ioniq 5’s and EV 6’s range estimates (before epa ranges were released) at ~300 miles.

At that point with fast enough charging for road trips they would work for 95% of my needs. The other 5% of my time would be towing and I can deal with possible longer wait times at chargers and more frequent stops if the other 95% of the time I use my vehicle day to day is easy peasy.

I can totally understand someone who does daily or weekly towing being apprehensive though. If I had to tow a lot and for long trips I’d want more base range to offset the towing range loss.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My guess is 300 in freezing or near zero conditions is unrealistic, they say the battery heating will help, but maybe 250-260 is more realistic in such conditions.
 

·
Registered
Volt, Suburban, ID.4
Joined
·
98 Posts
300 is the sweet spot for me too. I thought I would NEED 400, but we have an EV with 250 now and it works, 300 would give more flexibility. Towing is always going to be the limiting factor, but for most of my tows 300 or 400 miles isn't going to make a difference, and for the longer, more remote trips, it is going to be kind of a pain either way. Luckily I don't make those trips often, and I may just need to adapt my travel style for them.

Hopefully the bigger battery will be a standalone option like it is for Rivian, but I expect GM to take a page out of Ford's playbook and restrict it to certain trim levels.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top