Silverado EV Forum banner

Is the environment your main reason for buying a Silverado EV?

• Yes

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 19 86.4%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel Tire Car Plant Vehicle

Polestar took a survey of 5,086 American drivers in January and found that 55% of their respondents bought an EV "for reasons other than environmental benefits".

When you decided you wanted to order a Silverado EV, was the environmental impact of owning an EV the main factor or was it something else. It was certainly up there for me but I think the long term savings of paying for electricity compared to gas was a main one too.

Cast your vote in the poll and if the environment wasn't your main reason, what was?

• New survey reveals 55% US drivers purchase an electric car for reasons other than environmental benefits
  • Almost half of respondents are open to buying an electric car from a new brand, many more than with a gasoline powered vehicle
  • Generational differences affect rationale for electric car purchase
MAHWAH, N.J. (July 26, 2022) – Polestar, the Swedish premium electric performance car brand, has conducted research that has found that 55 percent of US drivers purchase electric cars for reasons other than environmental benefits. In-vehicle technology, seamless connectivity and infotainment system offerings have been named as the most important decisions for consumers switching to an electric car from an internal-combustion vehicle.

“The idea of luxury being defined by what’s ‘under the hood’ has been replaced in the electric era with the prioritization of seamless connectivity, integration into existing digital ecosystems, and good UX design,” said Gregor Hembrough, Head of Polestar North America. “People are switching to electric cars for more than just environmental reasons, and Polestar’s focus on in-vehicle technology means they can have everything they want in an environmentally friendly package.”

·
Registered
2020 Bolt LT, Dodge Ram 2500 4WD, Jeep Wrangler
15 Posts
I said yes to environmental reasons, but only because there was no in-between option. I have a Chevy Bolt and appreciate the fact that it's not spewing noxious gasses when in use -- or wasting energy producing heat. But, as important to me is the pleasure of driving the EV. I also have a solar system, so fuel is "free" much of the year.

I also need a vehicle for towing and hauling medium-size loads, and I think the Silverado will do that nicely. I'm currently using either the Jeep Wrangler or Ram 2500 pickup for those chores.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm in the market, in the timeframe of delivery, for a pickup. Being an EV or helping the environment are somewhat secondary considerations for me. I really just like the truck. I liked the Avalanche when it was around (almost bought one a couple of times), and this is the logical successor to that. It has 4WS, Mid Gate, and Air suspension. All features I want in a pickup that I can't get elsewhere. Being an EV is neat, but it's about 4th or 5th down the list of why I wanted this truck, and why I reserved one. I tow short distances, have a camper that is parked, and need a pickup bed for doing "truck stuff" on a semi regular basis. This particular truck happens to be really nice, have the features I want, and being an EV is a nice bonus.

Why this EV truck is the one......well, the 200kWh-ish pack size gets me to/from the lake with the boat on a single charge (assuming an 850Whr/mi usage while towing). Rivian is a close second choice for me, but I'm nervous about the lack of service centers, and general "first vehicle from a manufacturer" issues (which appear to be rather few), also teh 135kWh pack is a slimmer margin of reserve as I tow through a charging desert to/from the lake.

I live on the KY-IN state line. About 95% of my energy comes from burning coal. Whether I use that energy in a house, or in a car is of little significance to me, it's all "less clean" than I would prefer. If there is an environmental benefit to moving from my current Audi Q7 to an EV pickup, it's going to be marginal at best, and isn't even in the top 10 reasons to get it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's unlikely being environmental friendly is the sole reason people buy EVs. Anything complicated always happens for myriad reasons; and asking someone what was their key motivator isn't very useful. This isn't like asking someone why they just hit McDonalds to get a hamburger... where the key decision driver for that purchase is going to be "because I was hungry." Buying a car has hundreds of factors.

It makes more sense to just consider the general trend that EVs provide, and realize being eco is just part of the trend.

The environment is becoming more and more polarizing. Those at one extreme that deny human-influenced-climate-change will do whatever it takes to avoid adopting green products... since doing so would be inconsistent with their beliefs that humans aren't harming the environment.

Then you have those early adopters that want to be able to boast how they're at the cutting edge of saving the Planet. These people have been buying EVs for years well before Polestar was a thing.

But the masses; they simply want to move the needle a bit. They still want their normal quality of life (towing a boat, enjoying a tech-rich UX, getting the kids to school, and going on road trips). And if they can get that while being a bit more green, that's cool.

BTW @2kwik4u, the easiest solution (I said easy, not cheap) for your coal situation is to install some solar panels... then configure your future EV Truck and wall-charger to take energy in during sun-up. So you bank your own solar production instead of exporting excess energy to the grid. There are a ton of companies that have this tech right now (SolarEdge, Tesla to just name a few) ... it's not a pipe dream.

I charge my Model 3 exclusively from rooftop solar generation. The more sun, the faster it charges. So, you can easily tell folks that you're charging your own car with your own clean energy instead of using coal... all while becoming more energy independent for your normal home energy loads as well. The return on investment/payback for you is less since your coal-fired electricity is so cheap in Kentucky. But if you're looking more at principles than payback, it's definitely a possibility.

·
Registered
'18 Cajun Red Bolt, '19 Shock Bolt
76 Posts
Like others said, it’s a very complicated answer. We bought our first Bolt for environmental reasons (wife is an environmental lawyer), and our second one because the first was so enjoyable and affordable to drive. I’ll be buying the Silverado EV because I want a truck and want the same enjoyment that EV driving offers, and we’ve committed to only buying EVs from now on for environmental reason.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I’m in it for the new avalanche and free mileage since I have solar. Some of the technology stuff makes me hesitate, but it does seem GM has a pretty good system going if LG got their pouch cells straightened out. If the truck wasn’t going to pay for itself because of solar I would wait until solid state batteries come out and EV tech is fully sorted including public charging. I know that in 10 years EVs will be significantly improved and ready for all as primary vehicles.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Main reason? Nope. Whether electric vehicles are actually environmental friendly in the end can be and is being argued both ways ad nauseam, anyway. :rolleyes: I'm not participating in that with my selection. I just buy it because I like the technology and want to see how it performs. And I will still keep my other truck, anyway, so there go any environmental reasons. 😁

Reactions: tojesky

·
Registered
21 Posts
@Holeydonut You're exactly right. I could (and probably will) move to a solar + battery system for the house. Uncle made that move awhile back for his house in the mountains. Financial payoff will be in the 10-15yr range, but he counts the lack of cashflow required to keep the lights on between now and then a larger plus than the initial cash outlay. Electric bills in the $10-$25 range each month are much easier to handle going into retirement than the $150-$200 range he had before solar installation.

I think I'm going to pull my Rivian Reservation, and just wait on the Silverado. Rivian looks like a great truck and all, but the service issues seem to be mounting on them, and there are a couple features I just can't get past NOT liking. My Q7 should last me into early '24 assuming GM can keep on schedule with production, and being an early reservation holder actually means I get an early spot in line.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts