Silverado EV Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
But what you're forgetting is that tailpipe CO2 is baby food compared to the environmental damage done to mine precious metals for the battery packs, provide power to the factories that build them, deal with the waste from factories that build them, etc. and we haven't even started to talk about the issue of how to dispose of EVs at the end of useful life. I have a family member who is the Commissioner of our state Waste Management agency and he says that topic is a large can of worms. In the grand scheme of things, EVs have no environmental benefit, and may actually prove to be a greater detriment.

I'll give you the elimination of basic maintenance, but again if a guy spends $100k on an EV truck when he could have purchased an ICE truck with the exact same features for $50k is he really getting a benefit from no maintenance?

What this all boils down to is personal finances, and that's why I say the RST version of this truck is a total waste of time. Pointless.
You're wrong on the environmental front. Yes, EVs require energy to build. Guess what? Ice is the same way. Cast, forged and stamped parts all require power hungry machinery to refine the raw materials and make them into useful parts. All of that has a carbon cost. The difference is that with an EV there is a payback period, whereas for ice there is never a payback period, and thanks to oil changes and gas fill ups, there's an ongoing environmental cost for the life of the product.

Go look up redwood materials and educate yourself about lithium battery recycling. Upwards of 90% of the material is recoverable and reusable. Redwood is already making a profit on the refining of the material, they are burning cash due to scaling their operations.

Plenty of people spend outrageous money on gas trucks. I live in the Dallas area - this place is loaded with f150 platinums and f250 super dutys owned by people who have no reason to drive such a vehicle. Luxury vehicles are a thing. EVs do not cost 100k. Bolt is now 26k. This argument sucks.

·
Registered
2006 Escalade EXT
65 Posts
I’m willing to bet it’s par for the course and a wash, though I would be happy to see the numbers proving one way or the other. I’ll tell you that EVs are in their infancy and many problems are yet to be solved but will, either way having experienced the wife’s RAV4 Prime I know the the EV side of the engine bay is the future and the gas side is the past. This is based on the way it drives. I’m most concerned by the cobalt mining, as is the entire industry and they are hard at work eliminating cobalt, including GM. The end of life issue will no doubt be solved in time as the market demands it. I’m not really concerned about CO2 but I can tell you there are plenty of other things coming out the tailpipe of my 6 liter that do concern me more and the EV solves these issues. With my charging off solar I know the particulates and other smog coming out the bunker fuel power plants in Hawaii aren’t my problem either. These are the pollutants that tend to stick around in the local environment, again a greater concern to me then CO2. There’s a reason I don’t run my truck in the garage with the door closed, not a problem with EV I can let the AC run as long as I want.
As with any new technology there are teething issues, just as ICE automobiles before, the lead based gasoline comes to mind as does the smog in the cities of the 70’s. All in due time I believe the market will solve the problems so not much worry from me, the technology always shows up when we need it. I agree with you that the RST first edition is a luxury, but let’s not kid ourselves there’s plenty of 70k+ luxury ice trucks running around that are much the same. Inflation is such that a well equipped full size of sub 50K is dead.

·
Registered
2006 Escalade EXT
65 Posts
I forgot to mention my favorite thing about going EV, independence. My political persuasions are such that i wish to reduce my dependence on society and markets as a whole. This includes producing my own power so I can run my house without worry of the grid cutting out during hurricanes and running my cars for free. I don’t want to be dependent on gas from the Middle East or the US mainland, neither is coming from Hawaii. My wife’s garden and my meat supplies are headed in the same direction. This gives me a sense of security that is hard to put a price on.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Well, back to the thread title: My 1st Edition RST will have every option available… I’m hoping the tailgate is power up and power running boards are offered. Also going with GMC’s Hummer SUV…
Welcome to the forum @Mr DJ! That's going to be a great pairing with the Silverado and Hummer. Are you thinking of any aftermarket accessories for your Silverado?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Mr DJ! That's going to be a great pairing with the Silverado and Hummer. Are you thinking of any aftermarket accessories for your Silverado?
I'm not sure at this point; I'm not up on aftermarket accessories; chances are, I'll just leave it be and putt around my Hood every now and then 😁

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good choice. How did you spec your Hummer SUV?
Well, the 1st Editions were sold out so I'm in for the 3X. But taking a close look at the two, the 1st comes with Infinity Roof w/Transparent Sky Panels, Lunar Shadow Interior w/Interior Badge, and Matte Green Paint. The only green I like is the $ bill 😁 and I don't want matte paint. The Sky Panels are optional on the 3X and I can careless about a badge, so the 3X works for me.

·
Registered
2019, Chevy, Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
42 Posts
But what you're forgetting is that tailpipe CO2 is baby food compared to the environmental damage done to mine precious metals for the battery packs, provide power to the factories that build them, deal with the waste from factories that build them, etc. and we haven't even started to talk about the issue of how to dispose of EVs at the end of useful life. I have a family member who is the Commissioner of our state Waste Management agency and he says that topic is a large can of worms. In the grand scheme of things, EVs have no environmental benefit, and may actually prove to be a greater detriment.

I'll give you the elimination of basic maintenance, but again if a guy spends $100k on an EV truck when he could have purchased an ICE truck with the exact same features for $50k is he really getting a benefit from no maintenance?

What this all boils down to is personal finances, and that's why I say the RST version of this truck is a total waste of time. Pointless.
When EVs are at the end of their useful life, the batteries still hold a significant amount of charge and find new life as battery backup systems for facilities/buildings. There are battery recycling plants/companies coming online now that will recycle 95% of the batteries and ship the materials back to manufacturing plants for new batteries, it's the start of a close loop process for materials.

As for environmental damage on mining, GM is partnering with a company in Cali that will mine lithium in a renewable and very environmentally friendly process.

I'd also check out Carboncounter.com | Cars evaluated against climate targets

·
Registered
7 Posts
I forgot to mention my favorite thing about going EV, independence. My political persuasions are such that i wish to reduce my dependence on society and markets as a whole. This includes producing my own power so I can run my house without worry of the grid cutting out during hurricanes and running my cars for free. I don’t want to be dependent on gas from the Middle East or the US mainland, neither is coming from Hawaii. My wife’s garden and my meat supplies are headed in the same direction. This gives me a sense of security that is hard to put a price on.

Yeah one really cool emerging trend is having a home with solar panels + EV charger. And control the rate of EV charging so the battery stores solar energy instead of the excess going to the Grid.

Hawaii has killed solar net metering, so homeowners benefit greatly from having EV(s) that can soak up that plentiful generated solar. I'm here in California, and I often hear the anti-EV crowd claiming the electricity to charge EVs is coming from "dirty" natural gas, unsafe nuclear, and imports from other states. The easiest way to say your car is running on clean energy is to charge it yourself.

·
Registered
2016 volt
35 Posts
Yeah one really cool emerging trend is having a home with solar panels + EV charger. And control the rate of EV charging so the battery stores solar energy instead of the excess going to the Grid.

Hawaii has killed solar net metering, so homeowners benefit greatly from having EV(s) that can soak up that plentiful generated solar. I'm here in California, and I often hear the anti-EV crowd claiming the electricity to charge EVs is coming from "dirty" natural gas, unsafe nuclear, and imports from other states. The easiest way to say your car is running on clean energy is to charge it yourself.
just became certified in enphase to install my own solar

·
Registered
2006 Escalade EXT
65 Posts
Heard good things about the new stuff from enphase, can establish micro grid and charge batteries now during power outage. I’ve got the Pika/generac system which I’m pleased with.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts