Silverado EV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
369 Posts
I agree that would be cool, I’m hoping the manufacturers settle on some standard of two way communication so these large battery packs can be integrated automatically into home power for emergency backup and smart charging when combined with solar.

· Registered
369 Posts
I understand your position. I live in Hawaii and run off solar so the truck mileage will be free, or should I say paid for prior, so I’ll be saving 30-40k depending over a decade on fuel. That’s a pocketbook and environmental improvement. For a lot of people the EV truck represents an upgrade, hot rod power, refinement with independent suspension and creature comforts/technology. With the fuel savings and the way my auto ownership works now with expensive cars requiring 10+ years of ownership I can afford some creature comforts and hope this truck to be my finest vehicle yet.

· Registered
369 Posts
I’m willing to bet it’s par for the course and a wash, though I would be happy to see the numbers proving one way or the other. I’ll tell you that EVs are in their infancy and many problems are yet to be solved but will, either way having experienced the wife’s RAV4 Prime I know the the EV side of the engine bay is the future and the gas side is the past. This is based on the way it drives. I’m most concerned by the cobalt mining, as is the entire industry and they are hard at work eliminating cobalt, including GM. The end of life issue will no doubt be solved in time as the market demands it. I’m not really concerned about CO2 but I can tell you there are plenty of other things coming out the tailpipe of my 6 liter that do concern me more and the EV solves these issues. With my charging off solar I know the particulates and other smog coming out the bunker fuel power plants in Hawaii aren’t my problem either. These are the pollutants that tend to stick around in the local environment, again a greater concern to me then CO2. There’s a reason I don’t run my truck in the garage with the door closed, not a problem with EV I can let the AC run as long as I want.
As with any new technology there are teething issues, just as ICE automobiles before, the lead based gasoline comes to mind as does the smog in the cities of the 70’s. All in due time I believe the market will solve the problems so not much worry from me, the technology always shows up when we need it. I agree with you that the RST first edition is a luxury, but let’s not kid ourselves there’s plenty of 70k+ luxury ice trucks running around that are much the same. Inflation is such that a well equipped full size of sub 50K is dead.

· Registered
369 Posts
I forgot to mention my favorite thing about going EV, independence. My political persuasions are such that i wish to reduce my dependence on society and markets as a whole. This includes producing my own power so I can run my house without worry of the grid cutting out during hurricanes and running my cars for free. I don’t want to be dependent on gas from the Middle East or the US mainland, neither is coming from Hawaii. My wife’s garden and my meat supplies are headed in the same direction. This gives me a sense of security that is hard to put a price on.

· Registered
369 Posts
Heard good things about the new stuff from enphase, can establish micro grid and charge batteries now during power outage. I’ve got the Pika/generac system which I’m pleased with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.