Silverado EV Forum banner

GM Removing Carplay/Android Auto from all EVs

4252 Views 143 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  ianlindvig

Guess I'll cancel my order, no sale without this. I hate integrated car systems, it's like 1990 all over again.
  • Angry
Reactions: 4
1 - 20 of 144 Posts
This is a bad move. I understand the want/need to integrate navigation software with the truck's operating system for purposes of battery conditioning. Also, it would be a marketing nightmare if people are running their trucks dead because they are using CarPlay to navigate instead of the truck's trip planning. I just don't think they should take the option away from people.
Reactions: 2
Both systems can coexist. The fight is over data, not user facing features. Google is evil, I don’t trust them one bit. Not that apple is much better, however it’s clear with google you are the product. What’s happening here is that Google is going to pay GM on top of GM charging subscription fees.
Time to bust out ol' faithful...

View attachment 1221
Oh man this brings back so many memories. That tape deck served me well for many many years.

Guess I'll cancel my order, no sale without this. I hate integrated car systems, it's like 1990 all over again.
Yeah I don't trust GM to make a system that's as easy to use as Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. I'd love to be proven wrong but there's going to be a lot of backlash for this.
Reactions: 1
Both systems can coexist. The fight is over data, not user facing features. Google is evil, I don’t trust them one bit. Not that apple is much better, however it’s clear with google you are the product. What’s happening here is that Google is going to pay GM on top of GM charging subscription fees.

Just curious, what's your feeling about Tesla? They don't have Apple carplay or Android Auto, and for the most part it hasn't been a dealbreaker for a vehicle purchase.

My wife hates the Tesla audio interface, but she really likes their GPS/mapping.

Are you paying for Tesla's premium audio subscription?
I just saw this too. I am going to wait before canceling my reservation, but if true (and not reversed ) I will be canceling it

Edit: Here is the link to the original story on Reuters. GM plans to phase out Apple CarPlay in EVs, with Google's help
Just curious, what's your feeling about Tesla? They don't have Apple carplay or Android Auto, and for the most part it hasn't been a dealbreaker for a vehicle purchase.
The lack of CarPlay/Android Auto is a con for me. Since they still provide updates (even if only while on WiFi at home) it is not as much as a concern as the other car companies. Before they added CarPlay/Android Auto, a certain traditional car company that has issues keeping the wheels on their EVs, wanted to charge us $400 each year to update the maps in their infotainment software. I am not looking to go backwards.

My wife hates the Tesla audio interface, but she really likes their GPS/mapping.

Are you paying for Tesla's premium audio subscription?
It’s a mixed bag, the mapping is good, I’m sure in large part because of google, I can share destinations from my phone which works ok. I use Apple Music and that interface is buggy, but it was working ok. My premium connectivity trial expired, I’ve been trying with hotspot but annoyingly if you don’t have premium connectivity Tesla disables Wi-Fi and you have to connect it manually each time. Bluetooth has never worked great and mine has a bug where callers phones sound like their microphone is blown, I’ve read other people have the same bug, I’ll have to wait until May for Tesla to look at it. I also have a bug where my car doesn’t know that I live on the big island and charge at home so it’s always asking me to drive across the ocean to charge in Honolulu. I prefer the CarPlay on my wife’s Toyota and don’t mind hitting the button to go back into Toyotas interface for some of its functions. I also prefer using Siri over Teslas voice commands or Toyotas for that matter.

I understand why Tesla and now GM don’t want CarPlay, it’s for money, has nothing to do with user experience or helping the consumer. Bluetooth sucks for sound quality also and I won’t be using Spotify. It’s looking more and more like GM is going to blow it. If I have to pay over 80k, negating the tax credit for a truck that can only lane keep with a subscription that wouldn’t work on my island and forced to exist in a google nightmare I won’t be buying it. The midgate isn’t that good….
See less See more
2024 Silverado EV will still have Carplay/Android Auto, future model years will/might not.
Everywhere I’ve seen this story, the comments are full of people saying they won’t buy without this feature. Hopefully GM gets smart, if they think they can make their primary interface better, then do it and convince people that way while allowing CarPlay/android auto to continue within. I will not be typing google credentials into my car, so it better work without.
Just create a google account just for your vehicle.
Maybe I’m just old fashioned (I’m 41) but I’ve never used apple car play or android in my cars. So this affects me in no way.
im 60 and i listen to blues through my iphone
not giving that up
I’m 37 and I would appreciate listening to Beethoven on the new Apple Music Classical app with decent audio quality. Do you think Google and GM are going to support this?
im 60 and i listen to blues through my iphone
not giving that up
You still can through bluetooth.
You just have to browse on your phone to select music, that’s against the law in most states. I guess GM doesn’t want safe drivers.
You just have to browse on your phone to select music, that’s against the law in most states. I guess GM doesn’t want safe drivers.
Newer Bluetooth implementation shows your playlists and music in the media menu of the infotainment system when connected. Can also still use your voice assistants to play specific music or playlists.
We shall see if that’s how they do it, something tells me their goal is not to help you play music off your iPhone. I don’t have such options on my Tesla. Do you think that GMs google enclosed garden is a good idea?
1 - 20 of 144 Posts