Silverado EV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM plans six-fold increase in 2022 electric truck, SUV production

New details shared with suppliers indicate GM intends to increase production of its electric trucks and a new battery-powered Cadillac SUV to a total of 46,000 vehicles this year, up from a previous plan to build just 7,000 of those vehicles this year, according to information shared with suppliers.

GM told suppliers to its electric Hummer and Chevrolet Silverado trucks to plan for production of 21,000 of those vehicles this year at the automaker's Factory Zero in Detroit, up from the previous plan to build 3,800 vehicles.

GM told suppliers for its Cadillac Lyriq electric SUV to gear up for production of 25,000 of those vehicles this year, up from the previous 3,200 planned, sources said. Barra said last week demand was strong for the Lyriq.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crewmax 4x4
38 Posts
21,000 trucks? So let's say 15,000 are Silverado. They've got 140,000 reservations now and counting. So the people who paid for a reservation in recent weeks are looking at years to see their truck. That's terrible. :cautious:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
21,000 trucks? So let's say 15,000 are Silverado. They've got 140,000 reservations now and counting. So the people who paid for a reservation in recent weeks are looking at years to see their truck. That's terrible. :cautious:
That article was not correct when it came out. That 21,000 is only Hummer in 2022. Silverado production begins in 2023. GM hasn't explicitly said how many Silverado they will build next year, but they expect to build 400k EVs between 2022 and 2023. I'd expect about 100k of that will be Silverado next year. By 2025 GM expects to have production capacity for 600k trucks annually between Silverado, Sierra and Hummer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well that's good, hopefully the fact that they're still accepting reservations means they intend to be able to fulfill them in the first model year.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's going to be interesting to see how they end up handling production and delivery of reservations. The Ford Bronco reservation system turned into a circus. Some people who ordered months after reservations began got theirs quickly, while others who reserved on day 1 were still waiting. Seemed that trim level and options selected had a huge impact on who got their Bronco quickly. Granted, the hard top issues had a little to do with that but still...

In May of 2021 I ordered a Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel. I selected the Overland trim and specific options. I got my truck in 3 weeks. There were other guys who ordered fully loaded Rubicons and it took them 5-7 months to get theirs because of parts shortages.

Is it possible that Silverado EVs that are ordered in WT trim with very few options could end up shipping before loaded RST trim? Actually I seem to recall that the plan all along has been to ship WTs first. Anyway I just think this will be interesting to watch how they roll these out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Talk is cheap and they all say they are going to lead in sales
GM recently announced their executive salaries are being tied to EV delivery timing, volume and quality. So not just talk.

IMO Barra is going to retire in 2025 or shortly after she has met her EV goals. She turns 65 in 2026 and that would be 12 years as CEO.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is it possible that Silverado EVs that are ordered in WT trim with very few options could end up shipping before loaded RST trim? Actually I seem to recall that the plan all along has been to ship WTs first. Anyway I just think this will be interesting to watch how they roll these out.
Yes that is the plan. WT fleet order deliveries start in Spring 2023. RST trim deliveries begin in the Fall.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts