GM could be weaning off V8s for their trucks. They reportedly considering developing a new twin-turbo six-cylinder engine that would be similar to the turbocharged 2.7L I4 L3B gasoline engine.

General Motors is currently considering developing a new twin-turbocharged six-cylinder gasoline engine for its pickup trucks and SUVs. Although the decision to develop such an engine is far from finalized, such a configuration is currently on the table for future GM vehicle powertrains.

If GM does move ahead with the development of a new twin-turbo six for its trucks and SUVs, the powerplant would be similar to the turbocharged 2.7L I4 L3B gasoline engine currently in use in various GM vehicles. The new engine would follow GM’s Engine Set Strategy (ESS), which seeks to optimize engine development and production via economies of scale, although it bears mentioning that the The General’s ESS has been scaled down considerably since GM’s pivot towards all-electric vehicles and AV technology. It’s worth noting that the 2.7L I4 L3B, along with the 3.0L I6 LM2 turbodiesel Duramax, form the foundational elements of GM’s ESS.