Silverado EV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum. I was going to get the ford lightening at a later time but changed my mind after doing some research on this and the bigger battery and charge times. My question is how is the charge time going to be for this with a standard 120 volt standard outlet compared to the ford lightening?. I read the charge times would be better and faster. Thoughts?.

·
Registered
'18 Cajun Red Bolt, '19 Shock Bolt
72 Posts
I think using a 120V charger is completely insufficient for primary charging for the battery capacities in these trucks. To charge to full from 50% (100kWh) it would take around 70 hours at 12 amps (that’s the max my Bolt will charge at with the 120V cable). At a minimum you are going to want a 240V/30amp charger with daily charging. I would recommend a 40 or 50amp charger.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think using a 120V charger is completely insufficient for primary charging for the battery capacities in these trucks. To charge to full from 50% (100kWh) it would take around 70 hours at 12 amps (that’s the max my Bolt will charge at with the 120V cable). At a minimum you are going to want a 240V/30amp charger with daily charging. I would recommend a 40 or 50amp charger.
I wouldn’t be doing a lot of driving it it be for short commutes. I was just wondering how the charging times would compare to the ford lightening.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I wouldn’t be doing a lot of driving it it be for short commutes. I was just wondering how the charging times would compare to the ford lightening.
The charging times will be pretty comparable, the Chevy may have longer times due to its larger battery. I believe both will have a max AC charge rate of 19.2kW, so it will take the same amount of time to recharge either vehicle for the same battery usage.

The WT base trim is planned for spring next year, while the high-end RST will be released to First Edition reservation holders in fall ‘23. Other trims will follow after that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am new to this forum. I was going to get the ford lightening at a later time but changed my mind after doing some research on this and the bigger battery and charge times. My question is how is the charge time going to be for this with a standard 120 volt standard outlet compared to the ford lightening?. I read the charge times would be better and faster. Thoughts?.
With the 120 volt charger, my Mach E gains about 3 miles of range per hour. Assuming either of the trucks you mentioned will be larger, and therefore use more electricity per mile, I would estimate you could recover about two miles of range per hour through a standard outlet.

·
Registered
72 Posts
With the 120 volt charger, my Mach E gains about 3 miles of range per hour. Assuming either of the trucks you mentioned will be larger, and therefore use more electricity per mile, I would estimate you could recover about two miles of range per hour through a standard outlet.
Yeah, that’s about what I figure as well. For anything more than a short trip to the grocery store, the 120V charger is useless.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I dunno about that, I could recover my daily 20ish mile commute with an overnight charge if I had to.
That’s fair, it’s just not a use case I practice. Neither of our current vehicles are just for commuting. Even with the Bolt, we’d have a hard time recovering our daily usage at night using just 120V. Especially after our frequent 200mi trips…it would never get back to a full charge at 30-40 miles per overnight charge.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well said... thanks for the information

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do not think in terms of what is the bare minimum you may be able to get away with in the most optimal of conditions. People don't come home and depart at the exact same time every day with zero surprises. Sometimes you'll forget to plug in; sometimes you'll need to leave early. So you'll want as much reasonable charge as you can get. 48 amp AC chargers seem to be the sweet spot for most homes and commuters.

Teslas today have a max home-charge-rate of 48 amps (11.5 kW). There were some earlier model S and X that could go up to 80 amps (19.2 kW), but the new ones today only do 48 amps.

There's also a lot of debate around whether you would want a dedicated wall charger or just get a NEMA outlet and plug in. There is no consensus here... some people just want to charge with the least amount of investment possible. Some people want a charger that they feel is a fixture totally intended for EV charging. So my recommendation is to pick the camp that is right for you (NEMA outlet or EV wall connector) ... and get the desired hardware installed by an electrician in your garage.

As far as I can tell, nobody out there that drives their EV every day is happy with charging only on a 120v outlet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts