Silverado EV Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Volt, Suburban, ID.4
98 Posts
I would say your minimum should be 50A circuit for a 40A charger. You aren't going to fully charge (0-100%). Planning for that edge case will cause you to spend way more than you need to. If you want the ability to use the truck as a home power backup (yet to be fully confirmed or detailed), plan on a 100A circuit.

·
Registered
'18 Cajun Red Bolt, '19 Shock Bolt
59 Posts
I would say your minimum should be 50A circuit for a 40A charger. You aren't going to fully charge (0-100%). Planning for that edge case will cause you to spend way more than you need to. If you want the ability to use the truck as a home power backup (yet to be fully confirmed or detailed), plan on a 100A circuit.
Of course…it’s very rare that anyone will charge from zero, but it’s a data point to extrapolate from. I agree, a 40 amp charger/ 50 amp circuit should be fine for most people.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crewmax 4x4
38 Posts
Am I correct to think that a 200kW battery pack will cost roughly $20.00 to charge completely up, assuming the local utility rate is $0.10 per kWh?

Is that how the math works out, or am I looking at it too simplistically? I'm trying to make sure there are no surprises regarding the real world cost to charge one of these EVs.

·
Registered
'18 Cajun Red Bolt, '19 Shock Bolt
59 Posts
Am I correct to think that a 200kW battery pack will cost roughly $20.00 to charge completely up, assuming the local utility rate is $0.10 per kWh?

Is that how the math works out, or am I looking at it too simplistically? I'm trying to make sure there are no surprises regarding the real world cost to charge one of these EVs.
Yes, that’s how it works out.
For reference, Electrify America chargers are $0.43 per kWh, or $0.31 per kWh with a $4/mo membership…so $60-$85 for a full charge.

it costs us about $5 to charge one of our Bolts at home every 2-3 days.

·
Registered
Volt, Suburban, ID.4
98 Posts

Correct, but add about 5% for charging efficiency losses.

For reference, Electrify America chargers are $0.43 per kWh, or $0.31 per kWh with a $4/mo membership…so $60-$85 for a full charge.
Yes, this is important to remember. If you don't have home charging you are going to spend significantly more to fast charge.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crewmax 4x4
38 Posts

it costs us about $5 to charge one of our Bolts at home every 2-3 days.
Thanks. I need 350 miles of range to make it through a week. Sounds like I'll be spending $20 per week charging the Silverado at home, which would be a LOT better than the $110 per week my current truck takes. Wish I had the electric truck right now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
By time I get the Silverado my commute will no longer be 140 miles round trip 3x a week. If the Silverado actually gets around 400 miles (low 300 in reality) I won't be charging that often in a week.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The max most new EV will charge at is 48 or 50A, which would require a 60A circuit. I believe a 60A circuit and 80A circuit require the same size wire though, so might as well go with an 80A breaker (this is what I have), and be future proofed a little bit. I don't see the need to go to 100A for a faster charger even if it becomes available.

Currently I have a Chargepoint Flex, which is 50A.
60A wire size would be #4 AWG, 80A would be #2 AWG.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts